Music Banter - View Single Post - 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die- Music Banter Edition
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2014, 10:57 PM   #169 (permalink)
ladyislingering
Maelian

90. Roxy Music - Avalon (1980)

As I'm preparing to listen to this album for a second time tonight, I'm more inspired than ever to share why Avalon is a necessary listen for anyone who loves to feel music.

Avalon is a different flavor than Roxy Music's previous albums, though the permanence of their elegance is evident. There are no dramatic breaks between songs, only soft passages and smooth segues. Every song has its own personality, while stitched together like the chapters of your favorite novel. Bryan Ferry's vocals are at their most ethereally seductive throughout this soothing experience.

I've provided links to each song on this album. The only downside to this is that you won't be able to experience the seamless transitions you'd hear on the LP. (Especially the one between "India" and "While My Heart is Still Beating". Timeless beauty.

Spoiler for Full album (track by track):
Spoiler for More Than This:

Spoiler for The Space Between:

Spoiler for Avalon:

Spoiler for India (Instrumental):

Spoiler for While My Heart is Still Beating:

Spoiler for The Main Thing:

Spoiler for Take a Chance With Me:

Spoiler for To Turn You On:

Spoiler for True to Life:

Spoiler for Tara (Instrumental):

Personal favorites from Avalon:

The Space Between
While My Heart is Still Beating
The Main Thing
To Turn You On

I would certainly recommend Avalon to first-time listeners of Roxy Music (or to listeners who are familiar with the glam age of the group - but weren't very impressed with what they heard) or to anyone who just wants to sit and chill. It's been in my top 5 for many years now - I'd go so far as to say it's my favorite Roxy Music album.