Music Banter - View Single Post - Band Problems
Thread: Band Problems
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2014, 09:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Plankton
Just Keep Swimming...

I've been in a few bands, and the one thing that really got me to want to quit was unprofessionalism. I mean, if I'm gonna spend 30+ years practicing, tons of money on equipment, and sacrifice quite few things in my personal life, I expect the people I'm playing with to have the same pride in the finished product as I do. Whether the finished product is a recorded song or a live set list, if you continually have to ask me how to play something (don't do you homework), or have to spend 20 minutes tuning your instrument between songs (live, and/or at practice), I have no time for you. Being obnoxious and drunk, or hopped up on some kind of goofballs doesn't help either. Other than that, I'm really easy to get along with and will make compromises if needed for the good of the band. I've seen ego's rip bands apart quite a few times as well. Someone that wants/needs full control over setlists, band members, etc. will have me walking away and not looking back. Their needs to be not just a chemistry, but a team effort. A lot of people can't even grasp the concept of a team of talented people that make the necessary decisions that will help them reach an ultimate goal. That goes for other life situations, not just a band.

I'm probably done with being in bands though. Their's just too little of a payoff for all the work involved. However, I do want to seriously go get my busking license, and do my one man show thing downtown here in Chi-Town. I've seen quite a few really good artists make a decent living doing just that. Making music at home, and throwing it out there on the intenets is also satisfying too.

Hope I shed a bit of light on this for you 'Niller.