Music Banter - View Single Post - 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die- Music Banter Edition
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2014, 10:28 PM   #184 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

94. The Last Days of Disco (Soundtrack) - Compilation (1998)
  1. Alicia Bridges - I Love The Nightlife (Disco 'Round)
  2. Diana Ross - I'm Coming Out
  3. Cheryl Lynn - Got To Be Real
  4. Chic - Good Times
  5. Sister Sledge - He's The Greatest Dancer
  6. Evelyn "Champagne" King - I Don't Know If It's Right
  7. Andrea True Connection - More, More, More (Part 1)
  8. Carol Douglas - Doctor's Orders
  9. Chic - Everybody Dance
  10. Harold Melvin And The Blue Notes - The Love I Lost
  11. The Michael Zager Band - Let's All Chant
  12. Don Ray - Got To Have Loving
  13. Evelyn "Champagne" King - Shame
  14. Amii Stewart - Knock On Wood
  15. Brenton Wood - The Oogum Boogum Song
  16. The O'Jays - Love Train
  17. India & Nuyorican Soul - I Love The Nightlife (Disco 'Round)

The Last Days of Disco is third installment of Whit Stillman's "Doomed-Bourgeois-in-Love series." I heard somewhere that the first of Stillman's stories, Manhattan, is loosely based on Jane Austen's Mansfield Park. Both films have an ensemble cast of "urban haute bourgeoisies" that exhibit a propensity to be adept at clever banter throughout the movie. uhb anyways...

The Last Days of Disco has a pretty solid soundtrack. Sometimes I find Disco and and things related to it to be a bit gaudy and gauche tbh, but the music in small doses can be fun and great for parties. Not all the songs are necessarily Disco songs on it, some of them are 70s R&B songs and hopefully that music won't be lost or forgotten. "The Oogum Boogum Song" is a late 60s hit. It's one of the songs I never heard before seeing the movie, and it does seems out of place among the others, but still it's a decent song. I think, since the hooks and rhythms that came from Disco still find its way in the music we listen today, there should be something representative of that genre and time period on the list. I read somewhere that The Last Days of Disco soundtrack is the best Disco compilation out there. I don't know how true that is, and I can't think of anything better, but I think it's definitely worth a listen.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards

Last edited by Neapolitan; 09-03-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote