Music Banter - View Single Post - The Prog Rock Album Club
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2014, 10:57 AM   #923 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xurtio View Post
Welcome back TrollHeart!
Thanks man! Good to be back!

Ant, I would suggest that maybe, just maybe, an idea might be (at least initially) for everyone to take turns just taking a prog album from their collection --- preferably their favourite or one they really like --- and let people have their say on it. I understand what you say about the review matrix, but I put that together because sometimes people have a hard time structuring reviews --- "What do I say?" "What points should I make?" etc --- and I thought it would help to give a basic framework off which people could work.

If it's become too laborious, then by all means ditch it. I would, in all honesty, prefer a sort of roundtable discussion, where we throw ideas, comments, views etc back and forth rather than actually review. Example: let's choose, oh, say "The Wall"....

Me: "I love this album, a real classic."
You: "Yeah, one of Floyd's best."
US: "Meh, overrated."
Me: "Huh?"
You: "Why?"
US: "Bit overblown, too commercial, Waters was up his own arse on it."
Xurtio: "I'd agree with that."
Me: "Watch out, I have a gun and do not know how to use it!"
Moss: "I mever heard this album."
All of us except Moss: "WHAT???"

and so on.

(Obviously, all responses in that are fictional: Moss may love the album, US may also and you may hate it. It's all just to illustrate a point, which is that interactive discussion works better really in a club-type scenario than just writing reviews.)

If we had something similar to the shoutbox, or some way of all being online at once, or maybe ... hmm ... a separate thread for each album? Wherein we could post our thoughts and argue among ourselves? Just an idea. But I think it would work much better if we were talking rather than submitting reviews. After all, think of a real book club: do they all meet and hand each other written theses? Nah, they talk among themselves and argue the merits of the book. I think that is what we should be aiming for, admittedly harder when you're not there in person, but I think it could be done.

But then, you're in charge now, the big cheese, the head honcho, a-number one, numero uno etc mutter mutter .... so I guess it's up to you how we approach it. I think I may be on to something though (or just on something...)