Music Banter - View Single Post - 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die- Music Banter Edition
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2014, 12:13 PM   #187 (permalink)
bob.
Still sends his reguards.

Nea if you don't cover Gang of Four and Joy Division....i will

also that disco comp is spot on man

97. The Pop Group - Y (1979)

a while back i was listening to a podcast in which Justin Trosper (Unwound, Survival Knife) made a mix tape and talked about the tracks he choose and why he chose them

at some point in it he points out how important the band U2 is in the idea that their early albums were a sort of watered down introduction to post punk and that when you first hear The Pop Group you go back to those early War tracks and say to yourself "oh....this is what they were really going for"

The Pop Groups debut album is an amazing journey into the darkness that is all around us.....while taking from post punk generals (artistic drumming, jangling guitar assaults, and danceable bass lines) they take the concept much further down the rabbit hole

fusing elements of free jazz, dub, and just straight up noise into the post punk style and making an incredible album that is as entertaining and ear candy as it is frightening and full of despondency

while the music is something fresh and pleasing....Mark Stewart's vocals are like a mad man screaming at you from the corner of a filthy city....which just blends everything perfectly together

while this album is in no way shape or form a good introduction the genre...it is a perfect evolution to those who want to explore the concept of those early post punk gems

an absolute must before death

98. Snowman - ∆bsence (2011)

i'm certainly not an expert on music and my taste is far from perfect...but i can say an album almost never leaves me speechless

this album is a major exception to this

i first found this from a review that Pedestrian did of it....it was a well written and very intriguing read so i bought a copy and 40 minutes later it was my album of the year and easily in my top five albums of all time

this is seriously unlike anything you have ever heard and it is amazing....the layers here are magical and intoxicating....the falsetto vocals are fear inducing while at the same time warming and inviting

someone said this is like hearing ghosts trying to communicate with other ghosts....spot on

every track here is worth hearing and dissecting

not only a must before you die....but this is what i want to hearing when i die
bob. is offline   Reply With Quote