Music Banter - View Single Post - Are you democrat, republican, independent, or other, and why?
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2014, 04:23 PM   #135 (permalink)
Josef K
A Jew on a motorbike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wilkes Booth View Post
why not?
Because I don't think it would be that complicated a process, and because I've just never done it - I didn't say that was a good thing, but it's true.
Quote:
with or without a state backing the system up?
With - I'm pretty moderate.
Quote:
why?
Because when you start saying certain people can't vote, you're opening the door to their oppression because they can't protect themselves and because you've already told everyone they're a lower class of person. Loss of democracy leads to erosion of civil rights (and it is itself erosion of civil rights, but it leads to the loss of rights other than to vote). Democracy can also be a powerful tool for egalitarianism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
If they're incapable of understanding the issue they're voting for then aren't they just causing more harm than good?
It's a problem, but it should be solved by more education. Barring people from voting is functionally hard - where do you draw the line? If it's by some test, how do you write the test in a way that's fair to everyone? - and whatever harms there are from uneducated people voting are far outweighed by loss of democracy.
Josef K is offline   Reply With Quote