Music Banter - View Single Post - Bob Dylan
Thread: Bob Dylan
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2014, 06:31 PM   #673 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Default A fine man, but not his finest hour

Having listened to Another Self Portrait a few times, I came here to write a scathing post about the guy who produced the original Self Portrait album back in 1970.

In addition to alternative takes which are arguably better than the released takes, Another Self Portrait introduces us to seven really good songs from the original recording sessions that didn`t make the 1970 tracklist at all. Given their excellent quality, you have to wonder why. Admittedly they are covers rather than original compositions, but they clearly show how Dylan was respectfully exploring Americana at the time. There is a musicianship and consistency to them that was completely obscured by the dog`s dinner of mismatched mediocrity which became Self Portrait. If you think I`m being unduly harsh to the 1970 album, let`s not forget that a Rolling Stone reviewer at the time famously started his review with "What is this sh*t?": Bob Dylan Self Portrait Album Review | Rolling Stone

Bob Dylan`s reputation in 1970 was still a towering structure of deification that he was struggling to get out from under - and Self Portrait could`ve been the album that did it for him, while giving him fresh, human-style status as a worthy interpreter of an honourable musical tradition. Instead, Self Portrait was such a clumsy collection that it allowed reviewers to take previously unthinkable potshots at the great man, as above. How could such good studio work be so damagingly misrepresented on an album? How could one badly-produced album change Bob`s status from prophet to laughingstock almost overnight?

So step forward, Bob Johnston, and explain yourself!

Bob Johnston is one of a select few music producers whose name may be recognised outside the music profession itself. It doesn`t hurt that he is briefly refered to on Nashville Skyline -Is it rolling, Bob?

Quite what he was thinking when he put together Self Portrait is beyond me. Unfortunately, given my previous invective, he seems to`ve earned the admiration of all the musicians he worked with. That he was also an unpretentious nice guy comes across clearly in this interview extract:- Bob Dylan Publications

So step forward, Bob Johnston, and, er, receive the praise you so richly deserve!

Last edited by Lisnaholic; 09-06-2014 at 06:39 PM.
Lisnaholic is offline   Reply With Quote