Music Banter - View Single Post - What are you reading right now?
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2014, 12:35 AM   #5121 (permalink)
Yac
Super Moderator

I almost feel ashamed posting this here, so many serious and challenging books here and what do I come with ?

First of all, I don't know how well the Metro 2033 universe is known around the world, and to how many languages the books have been translated. I'm lucky to be Polish as we get our translations fairly quick. You might also know the world from the 2 Metro 2033 games that were released on both the PC and the consoles, post apocalyptic shooter/stealth games.
Anyway, to the book:
Dziedzictwo Przodków (The Legacy of the Ancestors) takes place in 2033, after a global nuclear war, around Kalliningrad - a now Russian, formerly German city near the Baltic coast. The region wasn't hit as hard as some, that's why there are 3 settlements in the area, all based around some old bunker system. Living underground is tough but people manage, one way or another. There are the usual toxicity/ratiation issues, there is a living space shortage, there is no shortage of military equipment though Even if some is in very bad shape. At the same time, there are rumors of a secret underground Nazi city with tunnels and an underground railroad that spans the entire area.
This period of relative peace is broken with the arrival of an unidentified amphibious assault ship with a clearly hostile and somewhat familiar crew (yes, they are nazis).

The above might sound silly, and well.. it is No more than most other post apocalyptic scenarios imo, and I've read quite a few. This book won't change your life or give you many philosophical questions, but it will entertain you. 450 or so pages of war, survival and exploration. Add to that a bag of myths and legends about the area (Germans really had extensive underground installations there, including a railway that was used by armored trains during the defense against the red army), almost no mentioning of current politics (and it's somewhat hairy here between Poland and Russia in case you don't know) and some interesting plot twists and here you go.

So far I read 7 Metro novels and the original ones were the weakest. The beauty of this world is that there are over 30 authors using it, you can find very different styles and plots here.
Yac is offline   Reply With Quote