Music Banter - View Single Post - How long did it take for your current taste in music to evolve?
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2014, 09:46 AM   #17 (permalink)
Plankton
Just Keep Swimming...

The first tune I can remember really getting passionate about was Paper Lace - The Night Chicago Died. I was in 3rd or 4th grade. After that it was Bohemian Rhapsody (5th grade), and then from there it went to Bad Co - R&R Fantasy. By the time I hit HS I was into Rainbow, Black Sabbath, and the like. Iron Maiden, and Slayer type stuff were next, and then I discovered guitar instrumentalists like Satriani, Vai, and Eric Johnson. By this time I was 19-20 or so. I delved a bit deeper into the guitar world with Segovia, Parkening, and then went to the jazz side of things with Stanley Jordan, and Frank Gambale styles. I discovered how much I really liked the blues around this same time too with John Mayall - Have You Ever Loved A Woman via Eric Clapton kicking things off in my head. That pretty much stayed with me for quite a while until bands like SOAD and Godsmack came along. Then came Buckethead. I was stuck on the Bucket for a few years, and now I'm into Derek Trucks, and rediscovering some Southern Rock, and even some Motown and Funk. Like Janz, it's constantly evolving.