Music Banter - View Single Post - How long did it take for your current taste in music to evolve?
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2014, 02:50 PM   #20 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet_Sounds View Post
I think this is what stands out about people here. They still want to discover new music. I was basing this on an article I read which said the average person's musical taste is set by age 20. Evidently MB members are not average people.

I can't really answer, as I've only been truly exploring music for a couple of years, and my tastes are still evolving. But:
... yeah I'll be the first one to admit there was a time where my music taste had settled.

And I have to say I am ahead of the curve because my taste was set by 12 to 14 years of age.

I guess most people here see themselves not having their taste in music set by age 20. I don't see myself as an average MB member, who are in turn as you pointed out "not average people. " So maybe I should be clumped in with the average people (but 6 to 8 years ahead of them) or maybe be a music nerd's nerd, but like Milhouse said: "I'm not a nerd, Bart! Nerds are smart." ... hence my dilemma. I don't know where I stand. I feel like an average Joe, but I have no way of telling.

I see the whole thing differently. I find my taste basically remaining the same. On the other-hand I find that it's an endless process for exploring the types of music I already like. I understand music is constantly evolving, but even with that in mind the newer bands I discover take their inspiration from the same styles of music I already know about and like. So in short: I see new music as a newer interpretation of old music.

Quote:
When did you discover your genre of choice?
Around 14 years of age.

Quote:
When did you discover your favourite band/artist?
About 12 y/o, maybe younger.

Quote:
When did you last discover a new genre?
I learned a little more about a few sub-genres that I over-looked but I haven't found a whole brand new and different genre I haven't heard before and liked it.

Quote:
Would you consider your tastes set in stone?
Sometimes I feel that my taste is etched in stone. There are some things I can not listen to 24/7. I'll listen to it when I am in the mood for it then be done with for a while. I don't see my taste as branching off in new directions to unrelated genres of music I haven't heard before as much as fluctuating among the things I already like. Still I have to be in the mood to listen to it.

Quote:
Overall, how long have you held your current tastes?
I hold on to what I like. I might not listen to it constantly, sometimes I put it down for a while and pick it up later. But basically everything I then I like now.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards

Last edited by Neapolitan; 09-11-2014 at 03:00 PM.
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote