Music Banter - View Single Post - Scottish Independence.
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2014, 10:49 AM   #12 (permalink)
GravitySlips
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Benteke View Post
Basically yeah.

Know a Rangers lad from Glasgow and he is fiercely against this and hoping common sense prevails. The polls seem to be moving in the favour of independence and he's getting a bit worried now. I know another pair of Scots who are in favour of yes but they are really out of touch with reality & bitter and would just as likely be walking round in shit tracksuits chanting EDL if they were born on the other side of the border.

The SNP promises more benefits for the poor while offering lower tax rates .

I am hoping something will intervene and people aren't just being blinded by patriotism.

Stronger together .
I don't think you can hold Rangers fans up as bastions of common sense. A fairly sizable amount of them are the most blindly patriotic, bigoted, BNP/EDL supporting people in Scotland. All those of that persuasion are voting No.

I say this as someone who grew up supporting Rangers. Myself and many of my 'proddy' pals are voting Yes, and believe me it is not out of patriotism or nationalism or anti-English sentiment. These definitely exist, but in my personal experience there's a much more sizable number who are simply trying to create a better country. It's about self-determination, getting the governments and politics we want, creating a more equal society, getting rid of nuclear weapons and their fiscal burden, and a million other reasons.

Whatever the outcome, there is a real engagement with politics in Scotland now. We have been able to channel our disillusionment with Westminster into something positive and hopeful. In England, it seems that it's been channeled into UKIP and right-wing politics, or at least more so than anything else. It's an exciting time, but there will definitely be challenges if we get independence, and there's definitely an overly idealistic side to some sections of the Yes movement. But with the vast resources we have, I don't see why we can't overcome these challenges.

Kayleigh - highly recommend you read this:
Wings Over Scotland | The Wee Blue Book

and this:
https://www.opendemocracy.net/ourkin...-thats-bizarre

And mind - it's not all about Salmond/SNP
GravitySlips is offline   Reply With Quote