Music Banter - View Single Post - Songs About War
Thread: Songs About War
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2014, 07:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoathsomePete View Post
Corb Lund did a really good album 2007 about war, mostly from a cavalry idea because horses. He started the album off with a really upbeat song about the naive and idealistic vision of war from a young mind, then ends it with a reprise of the same song with some very strong imagery.

I wonder if that`s the album on which his Student Visas song appears? ( The song takes the form of jaded reminicences from a US operative in Central America).

For an album dedicated exclusively to the topic, there is Country Joe McDonald`s album, War,War,War, in which he put the poems of Robert W. Service to music. Deadly serious, occasionally cynical, very spare, it`s an unusual listening experience. What I particularly like about it is that we are hearing the thoughts of a guy who was actually there in the trenches during the First World War, so we hear the genuine, contemporaneous mixture of patriotism and horror in lines like this: "Everywhere thrill the air the maniac bells of war."
Dip into another time, another world, another mindset here:-

Last edited by Lisnaholic; 09-14-2014 at 06:28 PM.
Lisnaholic is offline   Reply With Quote