Music Banter - View Single Post - Uprooting - Pet_Sounds' deeper exploration of folk in its various forms
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2014, 04:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

I see you´ve started with some absolute classics of '60s folk rock, Pet Sounds. Bookends is a beautifully written and beautifully put-together album, and the same is true of the songs you chose; California Dreamin´and Mr. Tamborine Man. TBH, i prefer Dylan´s original though; it sounds a lot harsher, but that just makes it sound more heartfelt to me, and I love the way Dylan just piles up the surreal lyrics until they seem to have an unstoppable momentum of their own. To my knowledge, no one else had dared do that at the time.

I´m looking forward to your reviews of the other albums you listed in your OP, and also to learning something about folk metal, which l know nothing about.

i notice that - Beatles apart - you don´t have much from outside North America on your list, so I thought I might invite you to listen to these guys. i think you may like their sound: http://www.musicbanter.com/country-f...pentangle.html