Music Banter - View Single Post - Scottish Independence.
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2014, 12:32 PM   #19 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
If Scotland becomes independent, will it still be part of the EU or will it have to reapply?
Scottish independence: ten key issues - Telegraph

Quote:
THE EUROPEAN UNION

YES

Scotland would not have to reapply to join the EU as it would effectively remain a member. It would be a simple matter of negotiating a shift in existing arrangements, and a tweak of the treaties.

NO

If Scotland votes to leave the UK it will have voted to leave an EU member state, and will have to go through the complex application process. Any country applying for EU membership has to get unanimous approval from the other countries. Governments such as Spain, which has its own problems with secessionist movements, will have grave concerns.

VERDICT

Scotland would probably get in, but only at a high price after years of difficult negotiations.
I don't know if the writer is hinting that Spain would block it (Scotland's reapplication into the EU) to send a sign to regions that want to break away from Spain. I think when he say "problems with secessionist movements" he is alluding to the Basque region.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote