Music Banter - View Single Post - Do you still have the first album you bought in your collection?
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2014, 02:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Default Do you still have the first album you bought in your collection?

I do, and I just wondered who else does. I know I went through some hard times when I was younger, and had to sell some of my albums --- for a pittance, to a secondhand record shop, and more than once --- and some got destroyed due to warping. But I still have the first album I ever bought, on red vinyl.

Discovery by Electric Light Orchestra

I'd heard ELO on the radio and in the charts and absolutely loved their music. This had a lot of their chart hits at the time so I bought it as soon as I had the money and a record player, and it's still in my collection today. It was rapidly followed by most of the rest of their discography at the time, and started off my interest in orchestral accompaniment to rock or pop music.

So, how about you? If you're old enough to have bought it on vinyl like me, repurchasing it on CD or downloading it doesn't count: you have to have the original album you bought all those years ago. Do you? Is it in good condition still? Would it, or does it, still play? I always took care of my albums so the answer to both of those questions is yes, but I no longer have a turntable so have not played it in its original format for over twenty years.