Music Banter - View Single Post - The "Recommended by" thread
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2014, 01:42 PM   #83 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

XO --- Elliot Smith --- Recommended by Ki and Briks

I expected big things from this album, and I certainly don't want to throw dirt into the eyes of anyone's hero, but I just don't get it. I'm not saying the album is bad, because it isn't, but it's just good, as far as I can see. Not great, not lifechanging, and certainly not, as both the above guys have claimed, the perfect album.

Maybe you need to know more about the guy, or be into his music for a while, but all I heard was a decent songwriter with some weak tracks on an okay album. I thought I would be able to say "Wow! I see why these guys love this!" but I did not. And it wasn't for a lack of trying. It just didn't grab me.Not only that, but as I accidentally let the selection run on I also got another album (think it was "Either/or") plus about four tracks off his s/t, so it's not like you could even say that was a poor example (though given the above comment from the lads that would never seem to have been the case anyway).

There were some great tracks, some good tracks and some poor ones. Like any other album. It was good. It was okay. But I'd be waiting before trying to get into his music again. Bit of a disappointment for me.

Rec rating: I'll be respectful of the guys and award it a decent 6/10, but I can't really justify anything higher than that.

(Sits back and waits for the backlash...)