Music Banter - View Single Post - Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2014, 01:58 PM   #659 (permalink)
Big Ears
Music Addict

Since your mention of the Anvil film, US, I've been trawling the forums for a review I thought I had written, without success. I first heard about it on a Classic Rock magazine podcast and, soon after, it was shown on TV. The film was by turns funny and moving, giving a fascinating insight into a once popular band, who found themselves out of fashion. It was also a success and almost brought the band back into the mainstream.

The reality for a number of bands is that fame comes and goes. Toto went from cult band to huge stars to obscurity and back to a cult band.

I am not an Anvil fan, nor a thrash fan, but I had sympathy for Kudrow and Reiner. Recently, I described what I thought was a thrash band, to be told they are groove metal, which shows (a) how much I know about such things and (b) how much I care for sub-genres.

Anyway, it's good to see Anvil get a mention here, as well as The Rods. Prior to Ronnie James Dio's illness, there were stories of him working with Feistein again, but it never saw fruition due to his rapid deterioration. After years of sophistication, it would have been interesting to hear Dio return to the raw sound of Elf.