Music Banter - View Single Post - The "Recommended by" thread
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2014, 10:56 AM   #91 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briks View Post
I'll try to be nice. I'm a little disappointed, but not at all surprised. You're a prog/hard rock guy, right? So I guess this isn't really your type of music, and that's alright. But if you find yourself in the mood for mood for some sad, sappy, non-progressive indie pop, give him another try, please? You're missing out.
Well that's a little of an oversimplification. I do tend towards prog and hard rock, sure, as well as AOR and metal, but I've enjoyed a lot of acoustic albums and a lot of singer/songwriters. I found Newton Faulkner quite good and I liked Suzanne Vega's first two albums, huge fan of Dan Fogelberg, and then of course there's God, Mr. Waits himself. So I'm certainly open to a singer telling a story with often minimal instrumentation --- it doesn't all have to be banks of keyboards and multi-part epics --- and I did enjoy the album. I just failed to see where the love/worship from you two was coming from. That's not to say it's wrong that you feel that way or that the album is any less; I just didn't see it the same way. I really expected more. I mean, James Taylor, Cat Stevens, James Blunt, Nanci Griffith ... there are some incredible singer/songwriters out there and I can appreciate them all. I can also appreciate Smith; I just wasn't converted as I had expected to be. As you say, a few more listens, who knows?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki View Post
Nothing wrong with not feeling the same way about an album as others do. If it helps, it took a few listens after my first initial listen to really feel a deep connection with this album. Elliott Smith is one of the few artists that I can really feel the pain through his lyrics because part of me feels like in some way, it's related to things i've been through. It's difficult to explain. He's just someone that I have a deep connection with and he'll never know it.
Yes I thought that. If you have a special connection with a singer through some sort of shared experience, you're going to assign them a lot more importance than someone who doesn't.