Music Banter - View Single Post - Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2014, 07:31 AM   #673 (permalink)
Big Ears
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
Even though I mentioned the film I've never seen it and it's on a list of about a zillion things that I still need to hear or see.

Toto are one of my all time favourite bands BUT I've never for one moment ever thought of them as a cult band.

In a lot of extreme metal genres the line is kind of thin, but groove metal does have a distinctive sound compared to thrash. Just listen to Pantera and you'll get the gist. I must be the only Pantera fan on the forum as most seem to hate them

I didn't know that but I can listen to Dio on anything, even when it's not good.
Watch the Anvil film if you do nothing else. It is one of the best films I have seen for giving an insight into the real workings of the music business. It reminds me of the John Huston (fictional) film about a boxer, in which Stacey Keach in the lead role pisses blood after a fight.

Toto were a cult band around the time of the Mindfields album (1999) with Bobby Kimball back in the band and British musician Simon Philllips on drums. It followed and preceded a succession of compilations or covers and, during this period, they were concerned about becoming unfashionable. It was not their best album, but it was pretty good.

I have heard Pantera, but never took any notice, probably because they have anaggressive vocalist(?). I do remember a radio interview where they asked for Budgie's Melt the Ice Away. There are some forums where Pantera are very popular.

Elf weren't very good and all credit to Blackmore for seeing Ronnie James Dio's potential.