Music Banter - View Single Post - The Rise of Youtubers
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2014, 07:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom Yorke View Post
I like the concept of it, where fame seems to be a lot more accessible now, but almost all of the more popular YouTubers I've seen seem like they cater to a teenage audience and are pretty damn annoying. I can appreciate a lot of the sketch comedy I find, but so many seem to be "famous" for vlogging, which I really don't get. Same goes for gaming commentators I guess, although I actually like to watch those on occasion.

As for comparing YouTube celebrities to real celebrities, the first thing I think of is Norm Macdonald at the YouTube Awards. Go to around 45 seconds in:

I love how he revels in the fact that he doesn't give a ****. The other two hosts showed up all dolled-up, and he just wore sweats and is reading off a paper. The girl actually makes the bit work even better. That deer-in-the-headlights look is just money. Is there any reason to watch it past the first few minutes? Cause I don't feel like watching the whole thing for an accumulated five minutes of gold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Francis View Post
You say alot of youtubers cater to teenagers but that's cause alot of them ARE teenagers but despite their age some are more mature than others and their creativity is more a reflection on their individuality rather than their age.
The difference though is that Youtubers aren't competing for limited air time, such as on TV, so it doesn't really matter how much garbage there is.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote