Music Banter - View Single Post - Why does the mainstream industry only want a select few to be popular?
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2014, 09:55 PM   #169 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulflower View Post
I get the example you used but I don't think that was a good example.

Objectively, Adele's first album covers the same material as her successful "21" album. She didn't change anything for that particular album. Her album became successful because of word of mouth and eventually the industry started to market it.

My question is what is stopping the industry from marketing lets say.... someone like Jack White who by the way was more well known than Adele before she released her "21" album?

Adele's 21 is not a dance album. There are no R&B songs or dance songs. There are no pop "friendly" songs on the album.

Her success proves that the industry could market non traditional pop singers and musicians with the right backing.

There is an agenda going on.
What agenda could there possibly be beyond making money? They're a business. They don't care about anything else. Urban made a perfectly good example of a band playing mainstream palatable music and getting famous, then making different music and being ignored even with record company backing.

And Adele is totally pop friendly. "Rolling In the Deep", which let's face it is the only song most mainstream fans care about, is lobotomized soul that's trying to pretend it's not a made-for-radio pop song.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote