Music Banter - View Single Post - Why does the mainstream industry only want a select few to be popular?
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2014, 10:27 PM   #171 (permalink)
Soulflower
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
What agenda could there possibly be beyond making money? They're a business. They don't care about anything else. Urban made a perfectly good example of a band playing mainstream palatable music and getting famous, then making different music and being ignored even with record company backing.

And Adele is totally pop friendly. "Rolling In the Deep", which let's face it is the only song most mainstream fans care about, is lobotomized soul that's trying to pretend it's not a made-for-radio pop song.

But that was not the case for Adele which is why I said it was not a good example because my question was on Adele being an exception to the traditional pop star.

Adele did not start out making mainstream palatable music. She also did not have a superstar friendly image. She was a overweight woman that was fully clothed so sex was not her market. Her brand was the TOTAL OPPOSITE of what was being marketed by the industry which is why I said she was an exception.

I think it is absurd to argue Rolling in the Deep is a pop friendly song. The song is not something that you would commonly hear playing on the radio. There is nothing trendy or even catchy about the song. It covers a mature subject matter and is a bluesy/folk type of song. So how is it pop friendly?

Is blues/folk a pop genre that is playing on the radio right now? I just asked since you insist Rolling in the Deep is a pop friendly song.

Her first album was folk/blues/soul as well so she did not suddenly drop the "21" album with a different sound.

Is she a rare case?

Is the industry picky with who they choose as super stars?

Obviously yes.

There is an agenda and people need to wake up
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote