Music Banter - View Single Post - Why does the mainstream industry only want a select few to be popular?
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2014, 10:41 PM   #174 (permalink)
Soulflower
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hat€monger ? View Post
Oh come on, Adele word of mouth? are you kidding me.
The woman was getting tons of attention ages before she even released an album, maybe not in the States but in the UK she was. She was signed for the exact same reason Duffy got signed, to be the next Amy Winehouse. And her record company threw everything behind her to make her that.
Just like I already said, if there's one breakout talent the rest try to find their own version of that. Adele is a perfect example of that happening.

As for your other point I would say although the White Stripes may have sold more records but Adele is much more marketable towards non music fans and a wider selection of people simply because of the material she sings which is much more accessible & commercial. Like I said, why would you use your advertising revenue on something you know is already going to sell?
The White Stripes had a following which would buy a new White Stripes album regardless and would know about it from having an interest in music.

Adele plays the type of music that you buy your mum for Christmas, you need your advertising budget to let those mums know it's out there for them to want it... that's the difference
Adele's first album is titled 19 and it was released in 2008 during the same time Amy Winehouse was immensely popular. She was no where near as popular as Amy and her debut was not mainstream.

Adele's second album 21 did not initially get industry backing and was promoted through word of mouth early on before it became world wide. Record sales is what get songs played on the radio and her album was coming off the shelves left and right (through word of mouth in the beginning) which is how her song initially got played on the radio. After that the rest is history. Adele did not even start her tour until after it became an international success and that is when the industry started to market her.

I remember when I first heard her song randomly play on the radio and I was questioning why because she was not popular and wasn't being marketed. However, her album was selling (by word of mouth).
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote