Music Banter - View Single Post - Why does the mainstream industry only want a select few to be popular?
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2014, 02:29 PM   #241 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulflower View Post
Why is it so far fetched the industry would not have an agenda?
Depends if you think making money is an agenda or not,

Quote:
I don't even know who the group is in the above photo. Boy bands were not hyper sexual 20 years ago and if they were that most certainly not the only thing they were selling.
One of the most successful boy bands of the 90s.
And yes they were frequently seen in videos with no shirts on, sexually suggestive poses and all the rest of it. Hell they even got them playing in gay clubs in little leather outfits to try to appeal to that audience early in their career. And it wasn't just them, there were plenty of others doing it.

Quote:
Everything that we see and everything that is marketed to us sends subliminal messages or overt messages. Any where from a president speech all the way down to a hair commercial advertisement.

The message that I get from the industry is they want us to accept these mediocre hyper sexual pop stars that make bland music.
Because that's what selling, how many more times does this need pointing out.

Quote:
We are force to accept these as the best of the best when it comes to pop music because the industry only chooses to market those specific pop stars.
You're not forced to accept it at all, I could hardly tell you a single song any of these people you're referring to because I spend my time concentrating on the stuff I like, and they're not ONLY promoting those acts, they're giving them the priority of the marketing because they make the most money.

Not only that they're also more malleable than 'proper musicians' because the record companies also supply the producers and the songwriters to these acts too.

There's no agenda, it's just profits.

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote