Music Banter - View Single Post - What the **** Is so Great about Axl Rose?
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2014, 07:31 AM   #46 (permalink)
Zack
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I get what you're saying but think Paco de Lucia, Eddie Van Halen and Joe Satriani all have a bit more variety than Slash.
Well yaaaaw, they're a whole other ball park, miles above Slash. BUT, I've never heard Paco play rock, Van Halen play a beautiful melody, or Joe Satch play some gritty blues...

What Slash does though, the power-ballad rock-hero wah-wah wailing solo, I think he does better than anyone else out there. In my limited experience, anyway, as more of a classical, jazz, flamenco, avant kind of guy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I'm not familiar with Sabicas, but thank you for mentioning him. ...not really a fan of flamenco vocals...
ANYTHING by Sabicas is top notch. He's, quite likely, the most famous and revered tocaor in Flamenco history. Very refined, almost classical, very technical but expressive, and with an AMAZING right hand. Holy Moly WOW.

I get what you're saying about the Flamenco vocals. I grew up around a lot of Andalusian and Middle Eastern dance music, my mother having a large collection from her belly dancer days, but it took me years to get used to the husky, wailey, non-equal-temperament singing.

But yeah, CHECK OUT ALL OF SABICAS. Start with "Arabian Dance." There are a bunch of version (He was very pro-improv) and NONE of them are less than fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinJJustin View Post
Holy crap. What the **** was that. I have listened to all his albums and I completely forgot that track because of how awful it is.
I wish I could forget it. But, I do like to pull it out every couple years and challenge someone to find me a worse piece of music...

Quote:
Originally Posted by William_the_Bloody View Post
...I loathed that Eddie Vedder Pearl Jam...
Awwww, I LOVE Eddie vedder and Pearl Jam! They go down in my book of Rock Greats...

Quote:
Originally Posted by William_the_Bloody View Post
Henry Rollins says it best in this video years ago...
I agree with nearly every joke he cracked, but I have to say this. There is some truly phenomenal, high-art DJ-ing out there, from the guys who've really started it. It's not all just Wiki-wiki-wooooow.

Man, I love Eric B...

Aaaand, many apologies for getting so off topic. i shall cease and desist. =D
Zack is offline   Reply With Quote