Music Banter - View Single Post - Why does the mainstream industry only want a select few to be popular?
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2014, 05:43 PM   #257 (permalink)
Tubby Tate
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedoitfortheloveofmusic View Post
You're right but a majority of the popular stations within their genre nationwide, whether they be rock, hip hop, electronic, etc. etc. play the same schedule of songs across the nation. Sure they'll sprinkle in some popular regional artist but for the most part they play the same schedule. The sad truth is the djs/radio personalities on these radio stations are obligated to play this pre-planned schedule or risk their jobs.
Also I don't mean to boycott radios stations or popular music. I'm not one to, draw a line in the sand, people are forced to take sides and very little is accomplished. In addition I support radio and I'm a true fan of music, no matter the genre, mainstream/underground, new school/old school I just love music. The point is to encourage variety on radio stations. If you're one that is tired of the same 4 artist on the radio station, then call in and request new artist. Believe it or not radio stations will listen once they've received enough requests. Some radio stations spurred by radio personalities dedicate segments, usually late night, to "local/new" artist but due to the poor results and support often times they're forced to abandon the project. Sure its arguable that part of this is due to it's segment time. Although if one is tired of the same 4 artist on the radio station, as is the person who started this thread as well as myself, then you need to take action and encourage the behavior that you want by supporting these segments and these radio stations that break the mold. It's no more their "fault" as it is our "fault" as the consumer for supporting this limited behavior.
So for the most part I agree with what you have stated, I do question what influences mainstream. In it's purest form, we would hope popularity due to talent or perceived talent drove mainstream but this is not entirely the case. What I'm going to say is a general statement and may be a bit contradictory to what I've previously stated above but I don't feel anything is just this or just that (black and white). It's a constant pull between the two forces, similar to the Yin and Yang. Mainstream and what is popular is more closely driven by, "the formula and money." Basically mainstream is driven by what big companies perceive will make them the most money. What we define as mainstream is what has been drilled into our brains through very successful marketing campaigns. For example believe it or not radio stations are paid to play music, commonly referred to as payloa. It is illegal to pay to play, but there are ways around this or they just flat out do it. Big record companies pay radio stations to push their artists. Now if all you hear on the radio is Lil Wayne, Sam Smith, and Avicii all day, all week, then your perception of mainstream is Lil Wayne, Sam Smith, and Avicii. If popularity due to talent or perceived talent was our drive for mainstream, we would hear Tech-N9ne, Arcade Fire, and Louis the Child who have huge fan bases and are quite popular but do not have the financial backing that Lil Wayne, Sam Smith and Avicii has through their major record deals. So though popularity can break an artist, especially with the avenues the internet has opened up for artist, generally speaking it takes the backing of a record label or tons of money to become mainstream.
A great point, well made.
Tubby Tate is offline   Reply With Quote