Music Banter - View Single Post - The Elusive World of Post Modern Rock
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2014, 10:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Chapter Two
song from the heart

• Burning Hearts ‎– Aboa Sleeping
    • album released: February 10th, 2009
    • tracks:
      1. I Lost My Color Vision 4:21
      2. Iris 2:55
      3. Various Lives 4:22
      4. The Galloping Horse 3:25
      5. We Walked Among The Trees 4:02
      6. Sea Birds 5:13
      7. A Peasant's Dream 2:25
      8. Close To Her 4:16
      9. Aboa Sleeping 3:29
    • members:
      • Henry Ojala (former drummer and multi-instrumentalist of Cats On Fire)
      • Jessika Rapo (former singer of Le Futur Pompiste)

1. Burning Hearts ‎– I Lost My Color Vision

7. Burning Hearts - A Peasant's Dream

The music is indie & Synth Pop with ambient textures. Jessika sings with a soft and sincere voice in an unassuming way, which blends well with the music. I listened to the songs few times before I actually paid attention to the lyrics. Once I did I found the lyrics to be intelligent and introspective.

There seems to be a reoccurring examples of flora and fauna scattered throughout the album tying their songs together. They are found in few of the songs titles, others found within the lines of the songs. (And this imagery also carries over to the cover art work of their latest album Extinctions.)

It seems they've taken a few hooks from the 80s. The one note which starts opening track reminds me of the introduction of Soft Cell's Tainted Love, but just a single note of it. I Walked Among The Trees has a wobbly riff that reminds me of Ashes to Ashes by David Bowie. Sea Birds has synth generated effect of seagulls, very much like Talk Talk - It's My Life.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote