Music Banter - View Single Post - Witty Titles Are For People With Journals Worth Reading
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2014, 03:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
Josef K
A Jew on a motorbike!

I'll have a real, lengthy post coming Sunday. In the meantime, lemme knock off a couple more lists.

1977:
10. The Clash: The Clash
9. Dennis Wilson: Pacific Ocean Blue
8. David Bowie: Low
7. Television: Marquee Moon
6. Talking Heads: Talking Heads ‘77
5. Fela Kuti: Zombie
4. Pink Floyd: Animals
3. Suicide: Suicide
2. Kraftwerk: Trans-Europe Express
1. Elvis Costello: My Aim is True

From here on out, there are albums I really love in every year. My Aim is True is not my favorite Costello album (see below), but it's his first and it's home to some of his rawest, best songwriting. Let's put it this way: the same song is on the album three times under different names and he completely sells it. Suicide are great, my favorites from Kraftwerk and Fela, and the most underrated Floyd album.

1978:
10. The Adverts: Crossing the Red Sea With
9. The Saints: Eternally Yours
8. Wire: Chairs Missing
7. Talking Heads: More Songs About Buildings and Food
6. The Clash: Give ‘Em Enough Rope
5. The Jam: All Mod Cons
4. X-Ray Spex: Germ Free Adolescents
3. Elvis Costello: This Year’s Model
2. Big Star: Third/Sister Lovers
1. Bruce Springsteen: Darkness on the Edge of Town

This year is great because the list is all about punk until you get to the top three (some would say too). My favorite Springsteen album (back-and-forth with Nebraska, anyway), Big Star's brilliant posthumous release, great albums from Costello, the Jam, the Clash, Wire, Talking Heads (who are ranked that high just for "Found a Job"), and so on, plus one of my favorite punk albums in X-Ray Spex's only LP, which adds some dissonant free-jazz skronk to the formula.

1979:
10. Neil Young: Rust Never Sleeps
9. Public Image Ltd.: Second Edition
8. The Jam: Setting Sons
7. Talking Heads: Fear of Music
6. Joy Division: Unknown Pleasures
5. James Chance and the Contortions: Buy
4. The Clash: London Calling
3. Gang of Four: Entertainment!
2. The Fall: Live at the Witch Trials
1. The Pop Group: Y

I'll be honest: A Trip to Marineville is probably a better album than my #10 pick, although I love both. But I had to keep Young on the list because if I'd taken that off, this list would have been made up entirely of punk/post-punk/I guess new wave because of the Jam. This is a great year and it had more variation than you get from my list.

1980:
10. Joy Division: Closer
9. The Jam: Sound Affects
8. Young Marble Giants: Colossal Youth
7. XTC: Black Sea
6. Talking Heads: Remain in Light
5. The Feelies: Crazy Rhythms
4. The Fall: Grotesque
3. Bruce Springsteen: The River
2. X: Los Angeles
1. Elvis Costello: Get Happy!!

Another absurdly good year where I feel awful about leaving off an album - in this case, Underwater Moonlight. Two of my favorite albums of all time up top, plus my favorite XTC album. Good stuff.

Last edited by Josef K; 09-25-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Josef K is offline   Reply With Quote