Music Banter - View Single Post - Alright, How Do We Kickstart the Metal Community On This Site?
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2014, 08:27 PM   #26 (permalink)
HellCell
Music Addict

Since I'm a bit of a metal enthusiast, case in point 80% of my music is metal. This thread caught my attention.

Trollheart reading your post, it gave me food for thought and some ideas emerged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
But seriously: although some of the bands are as "bad" as I had expected (bad being of course a subjective term; I just mean bad in my opinion, stuff I would prefer not to listen to) there have been some surprises. Panopticon are one, and there will be others revealed throughout the coming month.
So I'm curious to know exactly what qualities describe as good or bad for you. This could be a start for a thread with the label "Dissect your taste in music." I'm interested in getting an intimate understanding of how people end up listening to what they listen to.

Quote:
So restricting yourself to one or two genres is not good, equally restricting an album club to a very narrow remit is not, I think, a progressive or developmental step. But have it your way. If I did the HMAC it would have to encompass ALL subgenres no matter what. I personally believe, as I've already said, that limiting it is not the way to go, though most here appear to disagree.
Some people are deliberately choosing to be closed minded, their loss shrugs*
Limiting a scope of a topic is practical, otherwise it could foster tangents out the wazoo and no coherent conversation can be made of it.

Quote:
I wondered about maybe
a) Find a new Metal Artiste -- new to you --- each day/week and post about them

b) Classic Metal thread

c) NWOBHM thread --- recount your experiences if you have any or ask questions about that era

d) New Metal albums thread ("Metal albums you're digging"?) --- not the same as "What are you listening to Metal", as they'd have to be new

e) Help others get into this Metal band/subgenre

f) Headbangers Ball, where everyone just posts a certain number of their favourite metal videos

That's all I got at the moment. Over to yiz...
My two cents:

a.) Good idea, I have the time for it and I can see it happening. Although doing so for a prolonged period of time can be exhausting. I do often like to sit back and "listen to what I got"

b.) I've never gotten into classic heavy metal, so not much interest here, but if someone were to sample me some music, I'll gladly give it a listen.

c.) Same as b.

d.) Good idea, I'd have input for that thread if I see it grow into something.

e.) Good idea, but as you may already know, some people have the metal genre in their "ban list" for it's not their thing. For those who aren't as finicky, I'm interested in their opinions and hearing about the different roads to liking metal.

f.) Sure. It upsets me that there's like no metal music channels broadcasting on television. MTV/VH1 is full of (bad) rap and pop and crap.

Last edited by HellCell; 09-25-2014 at 08:34 PM.
HellCell is offline   Reply With Quote