Music Banter - View Single Post - Alright, How Do We Kickstart the Metal Community On This Site?
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2014, 05:18 AM   #43 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

I don't mean to keep advertising Metal Month II (yes I do) but researching for it has as I say exposed me to a lot of metal I would not otherwise have bothered with. Some, again, I bloody hated (cough)Cryptopsy(cough) and some really surprised, both in a good way (Battleroar) and a bad (The Ruins of Beverast), but whatever the outcome it made me listen to this sort of music that I would not normally. On the original Metal Month last year I sampled the likes of Napalm Death, Morbid Angel, Death, Carcass, Slipknot ... all bands I would never even dream of listening to. Now, almost all of those experiences turned out to be negative for me, but there were some positives. I got a bit into Doom and Stoner Metal, and even discovered some Black Metal I could listen to (or did I dream that?)

Point is, if you try new things you may be surprised. Musically, guys! Musically! Put down that hood and leave the vacuum cleaner alone! Oh no! Not the dog! A project like MM has forced me to listen to music I would not otherwise give the time of day to, which has to be good.

What was the point of all that? Oh just another plug for Metal Month II...

Another idea though: a thread for Metal bands who don't sing in English? I've found some great ones in Spain and Germany, not to mention Finland, Austria, Russia, Upper Volta (just kidding about that last one. Maybe...)