Music Banter - View Single Post - The Poseur Cave
Thread: The Poseur Cave
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2014, 10:51 AM   #236 (permalink)
Isbjørn
cooler commie than elph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josef K View Post
Have you heard Wind's Poem by Mount Eerie? He's a sort of folky guy, but it's considered his black metal album - it's not really very harsh, but I like it and it's worth checking out if you haven't heard it.
Never heard it, but I will. Anyway...

Myrkur by Myrkur

Genre: Atmospheric black metal
Year: 2014
Expectations before listening: Bitchin'...ness

So I expected some really cool Ulver/Drudkh-sounding stuff with demonic screams mixed in with angelic female vocals. Instead, I got some pretty bland Ulver/Drudkh-sounding stuff with okay female vocals and ridiculous screams. The first two tracks are clean, but on the third, "Må Du Brænde i Helvede" ("you must burn in Hell"), the screams kick in. They...
  • Are too distorted. Think of the vocal filters used by Burzum on Filosofem, but so severe that you can't even tell whether or not the vocalist is actually pronouncing real words.
  • Are inconsistent. Suddenly she's screaming, and after five seconds, she's done. It seems like she just threw them in randomly for good measure.
  • Are badly mixed. At times you can barely even hear them. Sure, black metal is supposed to have crappy production, but won't you at least let us hear the vocals?
Oh, and the Gregorian chanting is too loud. I started playing the album, and after a while, there was an instrumental black metal part. I turned the volume up, but then the clean singing was back, and I had to turn the volume down again because it was uncomfortably loud. Oh, and the riffs aren't really anything special. Trollheart, listen to Bergtatt: Et eeventyr i 5 capitler instead. It's like this, but a lot better.

2.5/5

Isbjørn is offline   Reply With Quote