Music Banter - View Single Post - The Poseur Cave
Thread: The Poseur Cave
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2014, 02:12 PM   #237 (permalink)
Isbjørn
cooler commie than elph

Death to false indie *adjusts black, horn-rimmed glasses*
Warning: contains angry ramblings by a kid who doesn't even know what he's talking about

So I have a little tradition of listening to crappy music just for the hell of bitching about it afterwards (Justin Bieber Week, Nickelback Week, Pierce the Veil Week). So I'm listening to Imagine Dragons right now. At least one of my friends listen to them, and I realized that I can't actually talk about the group with them if I only know two of their songs. So here I am, listening to Imagine Dragons. And I'm not happy. Imagine Dragons is on the list named "bands that piss Briks off". Why? They're labelled as "indie rock", even though they're just some bland pop/alternative group. Here's what a conversation with one of the fans might sound like:

"I don't really like the pop music of today, y'know? I mostly dig indie. Imagine Dragons and Ed Sheeran, y'know. What do you listen to?"
"Well, I try to listen to a little bit of everything... some black metal, some punk, some indie..."
"Indie? Cool! Did you hear that new Imagine Dragons song?"
"Nah. They don't really interest me."
"Oh. How about Ed Sheeran? Isn't 'I See Fire' just awesome?"
"Well, I'm not really a fan. I think it's a bit bl.."
"You said you listen to indie, but you don't even like the two most important indie artists, like, ever? What kind of unsophisticated bum are you?" *adjusts trilby in disgust*

Artists like, say, Nicki Minaj, don't piss me off nearly as much. Nicki is terrible and people know it. She even has some comedy value because she sounds so goddamn ridiculous. But people feel superior when listening to anything labelled as "indie", because it makes them seem as if they actually give a crap about music and seeking out talented artists. So people get all snobby about their taste, start looking down on people with minds too simple to appreciate bland guitar pop, and don't realize that their taste is actually kind of ****ty.

Alright, now I'm just being a huge, flaming hypocrite. But that's what happens when my argumental skills can't catch up with my anger. Please don't hate me.
Isbjørn is offline   Reply With Quote