Music Banter - View Single Post - Intellectual copyright laws
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2014, 05:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by misspoptart View Post
Sorry for the necromancy here but I'm looking for information/hoping to start a discussion about the situation with Youtube and Facebook now. This isn't news or anything but basically any video uploaded with music on it is blocked or removed. I understand people are able to alter the pitch or change the music tracks somehow so that they can be uploaded but why does it seem like the vast majority of music has been uploaded illegally and why isn't it taken down?

I'm annoyed because I make short videos documenting daily life/traveling and I always add music, I'd like to be able to share them somehow on Facebook and/or youtube but nothing works. Is there a way to legally do it or should I just not bother? And are there specific rules about using music listed somewhere? If so, are those rules possible to work with?

I thought it was okay to use like 30-second clips but it seems like that will get you in trouble, too. And then there was the guy who's account was blocked for using just one word or lines from songs. Ugh. Will it ever end?
HI there honey! Good to see you back!

I've had some videos that used copyrighted music as a background to say a slide show. YouTube have tagged them with something like "Detected third party content", but they don't delete or remove them. I think they claim it gives them the right to put an ad on your video or bombard you with ads when you log in, though that happens anyway. I think unless you're emailed to say you have to delete the file or it's been deleted, there's a certain amount of leeway allowed. I think it also depends how much of a song you use. After all, just about everything is somebody's copyright now, other than maybe classical music. We can't all write music ourselves to accompany our videos.