Music Banter - View Single Post - MB Comic Book Club
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2014, 02:54 PM   #111 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

I was pretty sure it would be episodic, but I didn't know whether or not it would be part of any overarching plot. I'm only up to issue #5 though. I'm kind of glad the series won't revolve around her to be honest. Aside from the interesting premise, her storyline wasn't much different from any number of generic gang stories: former gang banger trying to go straight, crooked cops, betrayal, etc.

I was more drawn in by the second story though. I never felt much connection the Dizzy. I knew her family was dead, but the only way she really expressed it was through corny, existential diatribes. I knew she wanted to go straight, but all she did was hang around and talk to people about this that and the other, without really trying to accomplish much of anything. But the guy's life was clearly in shambles: worked in a dive bar, kid wouldn't even talk to him, and he was reduced to getting human contact from a stripper.

And the ending was interesting too, as it made clear that there really was a bigger plot than just the individual stories. Better villain too. Until the very end I never knew quite what to make of her. I knew there was more to her than just who she seemed, but she was a total X factor. Unlike the cliched dirty cops, or the gang banging brother in over his head.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote