Music Banter - View Single Post - The Country, Folk & World Recommendation Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2014, 06:03 PM   #332 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by misspoptart View Post
Hahahahah I love the kid. That is adorable. Where did you come up with this Lisna!! So cheesy with the Canadian flag and everything too it's like extremely hilarious. But you're right that the melody is lovely. Awesome!
Glad you liked it, misspoptart. Yes, the baby is a real cutie-pie, and of course the excitement really escalates when JH starts twitching his right foot in time. ( I started investigating Newfoundland music after reading somewhere that they have more musicians per capita than anywhere else in the world. Not sure how true that claim is, btw.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet_Sounds View Post
I've loved Simon and Garfunkel for a while now, so I thought I should start exploring Paul Simon's solo career a bit more. I haven't heard any of his albums in entirety - just hits like "Fifty Ways to Leave Your Lover", "Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard", "Kodachrome", and others. Where should I begin?
After the classic S and G albums, I was rather disappointed with Paul Simon`s solo efforts; gone are the ethereal harmonies and the lyrics like poetry. To me most of his pre-Graceland solo albums were patchy; a couple of good tracks, a handful of decent lyrics is all you get, so a compilation album may be the way to go. There used to be a really good one covering those albums,called Greatest Hits,etc: issued in 1977, it is unfortunately no longer available.

Graceland, on the other hand is a landmark album worth having in it's entirety. PS is joined by various South African musicians and they did wonders in revitalizing not only Paul`s sound, but also his career, and my waning interest in him as an artist!

I`m no expert on his post-Graceland stuff. Either his material isn`t as good as it used to be, or I`ve become immune to the charm of his music. Either way, I haven`t heard anything particularly noteworthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felipe21279 View Post
I think you guys would like to listen to two great Folklorical bands based in "Maracatu" (a rhythm from North-eastern Brasil):

Chico Science & Nação Zumbi and Mestre Ambrósio.

That`s a lot of music in three clips, Felipe. I`m going to need time to assimilate it !

Last edited by Lisnaholic; 10-22-2014 at 03:44 PM.
Lisnaholic is offline   Reply With Quote