Music Banter - View Single Post - 101 Albums That May Not Change Your Life But I Really Like and You Might Too
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2014, 12:41 PM   #148 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

68. Corb Lund - Hair In My Eyes Like A Highland Steer (2005)
Genre: Country

Hair In My Eyes Like A Highland Steer
Truck Got Stuck
Always Keep an Edge on Your Knife
The Rodeo's Over
Hurtin' Albertan
Big Butch Bass Bull Fiddle
All I Wanna Do Is Play Cards
The Truth Comes Out
Counterfeiters' Blues
Good Copenhagen
Trouble in the Country
Little Foothills Heaven
The Truck Got Stuck Talkin' Blues (featuring Ramblin' Jack Elliott)

Ever since I started listening to Corb Lund I've been internally debating which album I prefer, Hair In My Eyes... or Horse Soldier, Horse Soldier. Horse Soldier was the first album of his I listened to and it really hit me hard because it was so steeped in history, but it also woke me up to the fact that good country existed beyond Johnny Cash. While there were some upbeat songs on Horse Solider, it was a far more sombre and melancholy album which suited my mood at the time. Years later though, I think I prefer Corb more when he's having a good time, and I really can't think of a more upbeat and fun album than Hair In My Eyes....

The album starts off with the titular song which is an upbeat, if short introduction to what to expect on the album. No greater meaning or subtle humor, but it is a catchy as hell song that will stay stuck in your head for a couple of hours. Fortunately the humor comes from the next song, "Truck Got Stuck" which recants an afternoon of driving trucks in the mud with friends. While I've never had a truck nor the desire to go out mudding, the tale is told in such a friendly way that you can't help but picture yourself in the situation. This is where Corb really excels at songwriting because country music is so based in telling simple stories that can appeal to everyone, even if you've never done the actions mentioned in the story.

If there's one problem with the album it's the two slow songs, "Rodeo's Over" and "The Truth Comes Out" really feel out of place with the rest of the songs and kind of slows the album down. It's a bit of a shame because "The Truth Comes Out" is a great song, but would feel more at place on one of his other albums. Other than that, I really don't have any problems with the album. Some could argue that the instrumentation is a little on the plain side, but I always find country music to be a lyrical genre, with the music as a frame, and all the instrumental pieces fit the song and the bass gets some real treatment on "Big Butch Bass Bull Fiddle".

Overall this is a jovial upbeat album that is perfect for a road trip. If you're on the fence about country because of what you hear on the radio then I would highly recommend Corb Lund.

LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote