Music Banter - View Single Post - Why do people blame Nirvana for killing Hair Metal?
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2014, 06:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

I can remember stuff like Janes Addiction, Faith No More, RHCP, Pixies, Soundgarden, Fishbone, Sonic Youth, Monster Magnet & Nine Inch Nails, hell even Neil Young edging out hair metal on rock shows on TV & radio long before I ever heard of Nirvana around 1989/90.
If Nirvana were the death blow those bands did the damage first.

I also think Hip Hop's role in this has kind of been ignored too, I know a hell of a lot of rock music fans bored of rock music who basically turned their backs on it to listen exclusively to hip hop around that time too.
Imagine you're a pissed off angry 14 year old Urban Hatemonger, are you going to pick up that Warrant album or are you going to pick up It Takes a Nation Of Millions.
No fucking contest.

Plus Hair Metal was never a really huge deal in the rest of the world as it was in the States. You look at the UK before Nirvana yes Guns n Roses, Bon Jovi and the bigger Hair Metal bands sold a lot of records but the most popular bands at that time here were bands like The Stone Roses, Primal Scream, Happy Mondays, Carter USM, Inspiral Carpets The Wonderstuff & Ride.

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.

Last edited by Urban Hat€monger ?; 10-01-2014 at 07:13 AM.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote