Music Banter - View Single Post - Why do people blame Nirvana for killing Hair Metal?
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2014, 05:00 PM   #34 (permalink)
Soulflower
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Let me explain this by way of my firsthand experience: I started high school in the fall of of 1991 and at that time the biggest, most popular new music among my classmates was Guns 'n Roses simultaneous album releases of Use Your Illusion I and Use Your Illusion II and the Van Halen song "Right Now". Nobody in my high school except myself and my friends listened to alternative music at all. Then Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" came out, and at first it was only popular among my friends, but suddenly it spread like wildfire, in a way that was completely unprecedented for an alternative type song to do at the time, and by the time winter rolled around everyone at my school loved Nirvana. After that came groups like Pearl Jam and the hair metal and hard rock that had totally dominated the consciousness of my classmates rapidly began to fade away. It was really pretty incredible how fast it happened. In retrospect, hair metal was kind of running out of steam, and changing to be a lot less flashy, by the time Nirvana came along, but it's definitely true that "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was the thing that really knocked it out of the game.
Thanks!

I was listening to that song yesterday and I really like it!

The music video is interesting as well lol

Why do you think Grunge music had such a short run? Do you think it made a negative impact on rock music overall?
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote