Music Banter - View Single Post - Why do people blame Nirvana for killing Hair Metal?
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2014, 05:06 PM   #35 (permalink)
Soulflower
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hat€monger ? View Post
I can remember stuff like Janes Addiction, Faith No More, RHCP, Pixies, Soundgarden, Fishbone, Sonic Youth, Monster Magnet & Nine Inch Nails, hell even Neil Young edging out hair metal on rock shows on TV & radio long before I ever heard of Nirvana around 1989/90.
If Nirvana were the death blow those bands did the damage first.

I also think Hip Hop's role in this has kind of been ignored too, I know a hell of a lot of rock music fans bored of rock music who basically turned their backs on it to listen exclusively to hip hop around that time too.
Imagine you're a pissed off angry 14 year old Urban Hatemonger, are you going to pick up that Warrant album or are you going to pick up It Takes a Nation Of Millions.
No fucking contest.

Plus Hair Metal was never a really huge deal in the rest of the world as it was in the States. You look at the UK before Nirvana yes Guns n Roses, Bon Jovi and the bigger Hair Metal bands sold a lot of records but the most popular bands at that time here were bands like The Stone Roses, Primal Scream, Happy Mondays, Carter USM, Inspiral Carpets The Wonderstuff & Ride.
Thanks Urban and this is a really good point.

Hip Hop really began to take off in the late/early 90's commercially which also aided in fading out hair metal and other subgenres as well.

I really would like to know why Grunge was such a big deal because every time I go on other boards or discuss music with people, they always make it seem as though Nirvana was the most important rock band in the 90's.

Maybe they were but there were other really good bands as well in my opinion.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote