Music Banter - View Single Post - Witty Titles Are For People With Journals Worth Reading
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2014, 07:17 PM   #18 (permalink)
Josef K
A Jew on a motorbike!

Gonna model this after Goofle's listening log format-wise, though I don't listen to nearly as much music as he does.

MF DOOM - Operation: Doomsday (1999)

Can't believe I hadn't heard this before. Possibly even better than Madvillainy.

4/5

----------------------------------------

Isis - Celestial (2000)

I listened to all of their albums, but this ended up my favorite. Not a big metal guy so I don't have anything intelligent to say, but good stuff.

3.5/5

Menomena - I Am the Fun Blame Monster (2003)

This one is right down the middle for me - quirky indie rock, even from Portland. But hey, what's not to like? Just a lot of really solid songs.

3.5/5

Grizzly Bear - Yellow House (2006)

I decided to look back into them and although the "look how pretty our harmonies are!" wears on me, this is a solid album.

3/5

Menomena - Friend and Foe (2007)

I probably like this a little more than the debut. The first song, "Muscle'n Flo" is just so good.

4/5

Sloan: The Double Cross (2011)

The only Sloan album I hadn't heard before, and it might be my favorite. Really good, and it's crazy how consistent they are.

4/5

Matana Roberts - Coin Coin Chapter One: Gens de couleur libres (2011)

I'd heard this one before, but it had been too long. Guess what? It's still incredible.

4.5/5

Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues (2011)

I was sort of curious because I heard this was more intense than their debut EP and album, neither of which I'm a fan of, so I figured "Why not listen to it?" I like it, I like "The Shrine / An Argument" a lot, and maybe it would be a grower, but I doubt I'm going to end up listening to it much. Good stuff though, and probably my Pet_Sounds Pick (TM) for this entry.

2.5/5

B L A C K I E - True Spirit and Not Giving a **** (2011)

Good noise-punk-rap. Very worth a listen.

3/5

Joyce Manor - Joyce Manor (2011)

Serviceable poppy punk. I like what I've heard of their latest better.

2.5/5

Last edited by Josef K; 11-29-2014 at 10:40 PM.
Josef K is offline   Reply With Quote