Music Banter - View Single Post - Ten Year Anniversary of Kurt's Death
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2004, 12:05 PM   #22 (permalink)
franscar
Honky

Nirvana were a great band, not the best on the planet, not even the best out of that group of Seattle bands (Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains all better for me) but the deification of Cobain since his death has been more depressing than his decision to end his life prematurely.

It shocks me when people call him the greatest singer and guitarist ever. He wasn't. He wasn't the greatest songwriter ever. He was a talented man with a heart for the music he and his band created, but I agree with Elitraaz, his drug addiction was destroying Nirvana. They were cancelling shows, disappointing fans all around the world, and Kurt had plenty of chances to rehabilitate himself, and he chose not to.

He left behind a child as well, and that to me is pretty much unforgivable behaviour, however depressed he felt, he has abandoned that child in the exact same way as his parents' abandoned him. As someone who's father abandoned him at an early age, I cannot even begin to comprehend how Cobain could do such a thing.