Music Banter - View Single Post - Why do people blame Nirvana for killing Hair Metal?
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2014, 03:15 PM   #68 (permalink)
Soulflower
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
No, I don't disagree at all. And it was called grunge because it had a dirty, grungy sound.
Why do you think such an alternative band influences so much gimmicky bands?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
The bolded seems like a pretty extreme claim to make. There are many, many genres out there in the world and few have sold as many records or packed as many dancefloors as disco. Do you really think disco is more underappreciated than chicha? Or zydeco? Or stride piano? Or narco-corridos?

Not really sure what to make of your complaints about The Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame. Of course they'd induct a rock band like Nirvana before a disco band like Chic. I like Chic a lot, but they're not a rock band and weren't particularly influential on rock music so of course they're unlikely to be inducted into a rock museum.

Disco is a very underrated commercial genre. I was referring to the commercial genres and it most definitely is the most underrated amongst those genres. It also is the most discredited.

The Rock Hall of Fame started inducting non rock acts in the Hall way before the 90's. The argument that the Hall is rock oriented is pretty null and void at this point because the RHOF has an abundance of acts that are not rock so I feel that is not a strong argument.

I think Chic should have gotten in before them because they were influential and came out way before Nirvana. There are a ton of non rock acts that are in the hall.

Disco acts overall are criminally overlooked and snubbed not just in the Hall but just in general. I think the industry overrates Rock music period.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote