Music Banter - View Single Post - I'm Here Today, Expect It To Stay On - Ki's Journal of Music
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2014, 12:10 AM   #195 (permalink)
Key

Casualties of Cool - Casualties of Cool

Devin Townsend, Ché Aimee Dorval, and Morgan Ågren

Casualties of Cool, the debut album for a country rock group featuring the genius like maniac, Devin Townsend. When I first heard about this album, and what genre it would be falling under, I immediately thought, "man, Devin is really going to blow this out of the water", and that is precisely what happened.

When I listened to it for the first time, I was caught a little bit off guard by the fact that Devin doesn't really sing a lot throughout the whole album, and that's one thing I was really wanting to hear, but I will say that Che's vocals really do add a great ambiance to the music, and her voice is beautiful and very easy to like. So it's a sacrifice I was willing to make. Other than the lack of Devin's vocals throughout, there is still that expert production quality that is sort of expected in a Devin Townsend album. Everything sounds very well leveled and nothing is too overpowering as is expected with an album by Devin.

It's obvious that Devin did his research in what a country rock album should sound like, and maybe there are some things that could change about the album as a whole, but honestly, as a debut into a new genre, he really did an outstanding job. As would be expected, he also adds his own magic into the album making it his own album and not just a typical country rock album. It's strictly a Devin Townsend album and there's really not much more to say about it.

One of the catchiest tracks on the album has to be this:

Key is offline   Reply With Quote