Music Banter - View Single Post - Why do people blame Nirvana for killing Hair Metal?
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2014, 12:28 AM   #148 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulflower View Post
Those are very different points. So I am a bit confuse with the point you are trying to make because I never imply this at all.
No they're not I was simply clarifying what I meant in the first post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulflower View Post
I am referring to the way they snub acts that they nominate themselves not every single other act that is not nominated because they might not be eligible.
Snubbed in your opinion.

I don't pay much attention to the hall of fame, but even I knew that fans of Kiss & Rush were petitioning to get them in because they'd been ignored every year for something like 15 years by saying things like 'It's supposed to be the Rock n Roll hall of fame yet they put in ABBA & The Bee Gees in ahead of two of the biggest rock bands of the 70s'.

I don't recall anyone making the same case for Donna Summer and I speak of someone that likes her music.

Besides, why does she deserve it so much?
I don't see for example the Smiths in there.

If it was down to Donna Summer or The Smiths who I don't believe are inducted currently for a place in a ceremony on a particular year do you go with an artist like Donna Summer who sold a shit ton of records over a short 5 or 6 year period of time and spent the next 30 years basically being a nostalgia act.

Or do you choose a band who never had great record sales, but had a couple of hits but who have sold a steady stream of albums over a 30 year period who have stayed relevant despite being split up for most of that time and who I would argue are more popular now with a teen/20something audience than when they were together in the mid 80s.

Personally I think Donna Summer would have only stood a chance of getting in that hall of fame in two ways. Her suddenly reinvented herself for a new audience and having huge selling hits again, or as an acknowledgement of her talent when she died.
It turned out to be the latter.

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote