Music Banter - View Single Post - Why do people blame Nirvana for killing Hair Metal?
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2014, 01:15 AM   #188 (permalink)
Scarlett O'Hara
Make it so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulflower View Post
I don't really care about the RHOF either but I do think the way they induct certain artists over others and their political nature is interesting and is worth bringing up to make points in music discussions.

I think Donna Summer deserves to get in because she actually is the main artist that really made disco into an "art form" and she is one of the greatest pop singers of all time in my opinion. I can not imagine any one else singing Macarthur's Park which is basically a song that uses descriptions of a cake withering away. She sung the hell out of that song and made me sad that the cake rained out in the rain lol

My issue with Donna Summer and the RHOF is, she was nominated to be inducted 5/6 times (while she was alive) and they snubbed her. So this lets me know that they wanted her to be inducted because they nominated her multiple times but they did not actually pick her for whatever political reason. They waited till she died to induct her which is sad because she should have already been inducted. Her family even commented on that when they represented her in the induction ceremony. She is not an act that should have gotten in because of her death. She is an act that made a significant impact on music (at a certain period in time) and deserves to get in.
Why would they care about disco though, it's ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME! How hard is that to understand? Just because you like her doesn't mean everyone else should be expect to. And how is it political? You don't know the real reason you're just making assumptions.

You also ignored everything about Kiss and Rush being ignored for years and years.