Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2014, 09:24 AM   #2278 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Oh Trollheart. Whether you enjoy it or not, surely you can hear that Gridlink songs are indeed tightly written and precisely played compositions consisting of riffs and beats which are only "just noise" to same extent to which all music is just organized noise.
First of all, sorry I took so long to get back to you, but even with a lot of this stuff pre-written it's hard to get the time as I'm still in the process of writing a lot of the rest of it.

As for the above, no. No I can't. If you want to hear "tightly written and precisely played compositions" listen to "Big Generator" by Yes. Now there's a band at the top of their game, operating almost as one mind, tight as the proverbial duck's and with not a note dropped nor missed. Almost telepathic.

I fully understand that you rate and love this music, but I can't make it be anything to me other than noise, and loud, discordant, disorganised noise at that. Sorry. You'll never win me over to grindcore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Three reviews skipped and one album half listened to, well I guess six and a half albums out of ten ain't bad. Thanks for mostly giving them listen.
What three? I didn't do FNM because I had already done it, which is the same way I will treat the list of anyone who has albums I have reviewed. Slayer will be reviewed in depth of course today or tomorrow, and the other one I couldn't find. I don't think missing out on a 27-minute grindcore composition constitutes only half listening to it, but I just could not face any more.
Quote:
As far as Swarrrm go, I think the lyrics are in Japanese so you're probably not missing out on content with the vocal style.
There are lyrics???
Quote:
I'm a little surprised you didn't mention the stately piano that dominates "Don't Mess with Texas", the moody basslines in the second half of the album or the abundant very un-grindy riffing throughout. I kind of expected those things to stand out for you. I'm glad you at least gave it shot though.
I must be honest here. Once the album started up I pretty much tuned out. I lowered the volume in case my neighbours thought I was murdering my sister or something and if I had to leave the room I probably just left it playing, not worrying about missing anything. It's possible these passages of which you speak occurred while I was not in the room. Or it could just be that I heard them, but at that point was so grossed out by the album that I really didn't care.

Sorry if my reactions were quite negative, but at least they were honest, which is something I always strive to be.

Hey, if you think I skipped albums on yours, wait till you see Plankton's!