Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2014, 01:35 PM   #2285 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
So when you listened to that Gridlink album, you couldn't hear that a guitar, bass and drums were being played together? You couldn't hear that there were moments in a given song where they turned on a dime in unison? This is hard to for me to wrap my mind around. I can't imagine listening to someone playing an instrument and not being able to hear that they are playing an instrument.
Sorry, no. I could hear it was a guitar or drums, sure, but it might as well have been a monkey playing it for all the precision and melody I got from it. There's just no point really in discussing this further, cos I'm only going to start angering or upsetting you, but the only thing I get out of grindcore --- or have got --- is noise, noise and more noise. Someone screaming like they're having a fit or being murdered is not singing in my book, and someone bashing on a guitar is not playing it.

But these things are all subjective, as I've already said. I can't see the beauty in it, you do. That's fine. I wouldn't try to tell you that you must be mad, hearing music in that cacophony, so in fairness I think you need to just accept that I don't hear what you do, and leave it at that. I know it rankles with you but that's just how I feel. Though I may sound like an old grandfather saying it, to me grindcore is not music, it's just noise. But I understand that is only my perception of it, and that others enjoy it. Fair play to yiz. I never will.

We should just draw a line under this now, and agree to disagree.