Music Banter - View Single Post - Why do people blame Nirvana for killing Hair Metal?
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2014, 06:10 PM   #247 (permalink)
Musicwhore A-Z
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulflower View Post
Thanks! I will check them out

Also, I wouldn't say KISS had a 40 year career. They were popular during their period but they were not big in the 80's, 90's or currently. I was shocked to see the number of bands they have influenced because there really isn't any artistic merit behind anything they did.
'Soulflower', KISS have certainly had a 40 year career with different incarnations of the band. Yes, the original lineup will always be the most significant, however Kiss still did respectable business between 1983 and 1995. No, they weren't the "biggest" band during the aforementioned years but I would never dismiss them as not counting towards the overall longevity of the band. In comparison with some of their contemporaries, that's not a bad track record, so to speak. Respectully, I disagree with your assertion ( ).

However, I can understand how surprised you were regarding KISS' overall influence in rock history. MANY of the artists who cite KISS as an influence aren't mere copies. Which to me is quite complimentary. Most of them went on to develop their own "style", and rightly so. Personally, I don't think one has to be a great musician to have great songs. Likewise, a technically great player can have terrible songs. In other words, influence doesn't always have to be direct. Nor should it be. Still, I look forward to hearing what you think of the songs I suggested earlier. Respect ( ).
Musicwhore A-Z is offline   Reply With Quote