Music Banter - View Single Post - Electronica & EDM combination album club! ® (Whew!)
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2014, 06:00 AM   #144 (permalink)
misspoptart
gimme gimme

I am not a member (yet) but I legitimately don't care. I wanted to listen to this Gary Numan so I did and I am happy to answer the questions.

Questions

1. What were your VERY FIRST impressions on listening to the album, say from the first five minutes in (first time)?

Intrigue. Straight up intriguing. I don't like evil-sounding stuff like this usually but I can get into anything with a melody. I get a NiN or Marilyn Manson vibe. I'm okay with that. Also, I think this could be something Trollheart would like. Why not, right?

2. Did your first impressions change, i.e., did the album get better or worse as you listened to it (first time)?

The second track is alienating me hardcore with the whispering. So, thus far, it's getting a bit worse. I hope this song spins into a cool chorus-type part soon. Okay, it came but it's really just kind of creepy. I much preferred "I Am Dust." The style of the vocals seems to get more and more droning as we go.

3. Which was stronger in your opinion, the opening tracks (first 2-3 songs), or the ending tracks (last 2-3 songs)?

Definitely the opening 2 tracks. Did not care for the 3rd track and the final tracks didn't resonate with me.

8. How would you describe the variety of tracks available on this album? Feel free to be very detailed if you like.

There are a lot of different flavors and influences present, but honestly the tone stays the same throughout. Dark, depressed, uncertain. It would be nice if the tone was as varied as the styles, or if...at least one song was a bit lighter maybe? The last song kind of does this but it's actually so out of place. It might have been better in the middle, just to shake things up a bit.

10. Is this an album you would listen to again all the way through (for personal, recreational use, outside of listening to it for this club), or are there just a few songs that you would listen to?

I would probably just listen to a couple of the tracks.

11. How well do you already know the band/artist?

Had never heard of this guy.

14. Would you recommend this album to others?

Hmmm... that really depends on who is asking and/or the context of the conversation. Obviously if someone is like "wow I really wish there was something like NiN but less vulgar and screamy on the market" I might say hey have you heard of Gary Numan?

15. Are you interested in listening to more albums by this band?

Not really, no.

16. What sub-genre, if any, would you assign this music to?

Industrial?

17. (NOTE: Ignore this question if the album does not have lyrics.) Did you like the vocalist? Hate him/her? Any impressions?

I actually do like him. He's sexy and pulls you in a bit, makes you want to understand his point of view and actually get a feel for what he's singing about.

18. Your overall album rating on a scale of 1-10?

misspoptart is offline   Reply With Quote