Music Banter - View Single Post - The Batlord Listens to Random **** and Talks About It
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2014, 01:10 PM   #191 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Southern Lord Records: A Byword for "Bitchin'"

The Obsessed: Incarnate - 1999

If you dig Saint Vitus, then you're probably aware of their singer Scott "Wino" Weinrich. The Obsessed were his doom metal band before that, and after too, since he reformed them when he left Saint Vitus. At least that's what I'm pretty sure the history is. I've heard a song or two from them, but never really got into them. They're pretty ****ing cool though. Apparently they actually evolved out of the DC punk scene from the late seventies/early eighties. The combination of punk and Sabbath influences naturally leads to accidental stoner metal. This band is plenty heavy, but they play much more mid-paced than Saint Vitus, with a raw energy that's pretty engaging. Wino's raspy vocals are an acquired taste for many, but I've always liked him. Like a less abrasive, more world-weary Lemmy.

This isn't an actual album. It's one of those compilations full of B-sides, demos, and unreleased tracks. As such, this isn't an "Oh, my God! Brilliant!" album, but there is some quality **** on here. "Streetside" and a cover of the Animals' "Looking Inside Out" are particularly badass. Any fan of doom should definitely check these dudes out if they haven't already.

Spoiler for hgvuybh:

There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote